Once when I was having a dinner with some friends, one of the sweet ladies accidentally spilt soup on her blouse. She laughed and as she dabbed herself with a napkin, jokingly said to everyone at the table, "I was just testing you only, to see if you are paying attention." We all laughed of course.
If you believed her, you'd make a good politician because you'll believe that everything that happens in this world is part of a deliberate plan. What's that word... ah, an agenda. Which reminds me ...have you ever noticed that whenever something unexpected happens in politics, politicians from all sides of the divide are quick to grab the microphone and say "Aha! See that? They are trying to distract people from their real problems!"
If some little scandal breaks out, it's a ruse to distract people from their real problems!
If someone threatens to leave the ranks, it's a ruse to distract people from their real problems!
If prices increase, it's a ruse to distract people from their real problems!
How not to laugh?
Maybe I'm naive but in my books, a screw-up is just that : a screw-up. Its nothing to be ashamed of. No need to turn it into something else and say "Oops my soup spilled! Ha ha! Just testing you only."
Truth is not exciting. It is more fun to believe that political bodies are well-oiled, highly precise machines with a singular purpose and everything, even mistakes, are actually part of some sinister agenda.
Know what I think? I think controlling political bodies are a lot closer to controlling a pack of wild dogs. I don't care if its the Tories in the UK or the Republican party in America. When you run an organization with hundreds of thousands of members with pockets of special interests everywhere, the reality is that anything can happen. Mr. Left Finger will never know what Mr. Right Toe is doing. Its humans nature to be careless and have short attention spans. People get caught committing adultery, saying unflattering things about a colleague, doing something stupid. Shit happens. Agenda? What agenda are you talking about?
But where's the fun and intrigue in that? If the soup spills, it must be part of a greater plan right?
I don't blame whoever it was that said one of the first things that's sacrificed in politics is common sense. Its a strange universe where people routinely pull others to the side and ask, what's your agenda? I dislike politics. Thank god I don't know anyone there.
I dislike politics too. I'm just dying to see some people do something to stop the rot going on... if that's not too much to ask!!!
ReplyDeleteMost people have a vested interest in stability no matter how unjust or lop sided it is. They fear losing their jobs, higher prices, poor share prices. The only ones who will do anything are those who have nothing left to lose. I've long stopped expecting people strongly attached to children, property or wealth to stand up and do anything.
ReplyDeleteI believe that there are many people who are doing something and making a stand even when they have a lot to lose.
ReplyDelete