The Cool Dude

The Cool Dude

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Migrating

Whenever people tell me that those who migrate are an ungrateful lot, I always ask them this question.

When a beautiful girl you don't give a shit about leaves you for someone else, why do you call her a bitch?

I usually get no response.

Anyway, when it comes to the subject of migration I'm old school, if you could call the motivations of Marco Polo (1271), Christopher Columbus (1492) and John Cabot (1497) old school.

Old school means believing that if there are opportunities for a better life out there, go! Just don't kill the natives when you get there. And may the force be with you.

I admit I've never understood the fuss about cherishing your fatherland or your motherland but maybe that's because I think like a bird. I see the whole goddamn planet as my house, not just that tree in rural Johore. I should be able to fly and sleep anywhere I please.

Home

Patriotism? Pffft.

Patriotism is for romantics. I can see why some people are attached to identity that's behind patriotism but identity gives me a headache. What's your name? Which country are you from? What's your religion?

Wait... why is this any of your business again?

How does knowing that I'm Mr. A from country B of race C and religion D tell you if I'm worthy? You only ask me so that you can fit me into your mental pigeonhole so that you can treat me the way you think people of my profile deserve. Right?

Gratitude? Yes I am grateful, but not just to you. To the whole world. Actually more to the whole world. You see, I'm just like you. The gadgets I use, the books I read, the movies I watch and stuff, they're mostly made overseas. I owe them all my gratitude so whatever stuff I consume, I show it by paying for those things, sometimes in ridiculously inflated amounts that make wealthier foreigners cough and spit out their coffee.

But that's okay. Its a willing exhange. You give me something, I pay for it, we owe nothing more to each other, we both happy. I also paid income tax which paid the salaries of a number of government servants for a few years. And then you should see how much I gave to charity. Rumah kanak-kanak cacat, orang buta, orang tua, and orang kaya. I even helped clean many a longkang in the neighborhood. So yes I helped spread joy to others in my own time out of my own free will. Is there something else in the gratitude department that I missed?

Know what? Actually I am proud to have explorer blood running in me. My late grandpa used to tell me his father was a ship's hand. We actually didn't know very much about him, not even where he was buried but one thing's for sure. He wasn't from around here.

Grandpa is that you?

Yes, migration is in my blood and unless you're an Orang Asli, you are a descendent of migrants too. Now aren't you glad your ancestors didn't listen to those rants about patriotism and ungratefulness during their time? Because if they did, where would you be?

That is why I've got two words about migration. Actually three. Big.effing.deal. If you are upset that the beautiful girl is leaving you, instead of calling her names, how about asking yourself why she left you? You might actually learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment