The Cool Dude

The Cool Dude

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Can ordinary Malaysians live up to their own demands of others?

This is a continuation of my thoughts on the topic on Facebook.

A little self critique is therapeutical every now and then so I won't mince my words. Many of us are hypocrites, myself included. There I said it.

While not forgetting that we are nice people with big hearts, we try to bribe our way out of trouble while protesting corruption.

We buy skin whitening creams while protesting racism.

We enjoy unfair business arrangements while protesting cronyism.

We take people's money under false pretences while protesting theft from the national coffers.

In our defense, we say aiyah we are small potatoes lar. Give or take a few dollars what's the problem? But those leaders, they are taking millions! How can?? They are supposed to set an example!!

Right, so we've made our principles elastic, like a rubber band, to be stretched whenever it suits us. We defend it becoz that's how we've survived. Who plays fair anyway and everyone knows the best way to beat a thief is to be a better thief, which is okay if its our own asses that we're saving. In fact, you'd be stupid not to.

So now do you know why I sometimes find it comical to see all the outrage against corruption, cronyism and racism among civil society people?


How not to laugh when the same people who scream bapok and pondan at our infamous ministers also lament the discrimination against gays and transexuals? Wakakaka.

How not to laugh when the same people who say woi mamak kutty, balik Kerala lah on FB also appear in threads lamenting racism in our schools? Wakakaka.



Do Malaysians actually have principles? Of course we do, but do we actually believe in them? Or are we more like the famous donkey that carried holy scriptures on its back?

Yup, its still a donkey.

This guy says it better than I ever can:

The first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself. Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, and humility.

~Nelson Mandela~

Thanks to FB friend Stephen Felix Grosse for digging out this wonderful quote!

8 comments:

  1. Whoa! Back with a vengeance, eh? May I add, it so doesn't go with the pink background? hahahaha

    Unfortunately, there so much truth here that it's hard to swallow.

    You've made me look over my life with a fine-toothed comb. Aisehman!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not looking at myself in the mirror for a while....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lita, ever since I started this blog I've had it in green, blue and black. All too sombre lah so I thought having an air bandung background would cheer it up a bit, haha. But yeah, I've always believed we shouldn't place expectations on others that we ourselves cannot meet. Its an extension of the do unto others rule which has been my rule in corporate life and personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephen, so happy you dropped by! Yeah whenever my thoughts won't fit into the Facebook comment box, I write them here. Perhaps some day, I will look at them and have a hearty laugh, haha. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. TLC, if only we can escape from our reflections. They're everywhere aren't they, from our children to our friends to our bank accounts. I believe to receive good we should dispense good and sometimes, the only way to know if we're still on the right track is a mirror...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talking of reflections; when my 2nd girl was about 2 years, I found her one evening sitting in my favorite chair, eyes on the newspaper on her lap and fingernails plucking at imaginary beard-stubs. And I went, 'OMG, that's me!'.... I had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! Like father like daughter! :D

    ReplyDelete