What's the first thing that deserts you when you reach your mid 40's? Apart from your sanity, the black in your hair, or even hair itself for some of us?
Its eyesight.
I've worn spectacles ever since Form 5. Last year, I reached a significant milestone in my life. I had to buy reading glasses. This year when I started going to the cybercafe, I had to invest in a 3rd pair - the 'intermediate' glasses.
So its one pair for normal non-reading use, another pair for reading books and the intermediate pair for reading the computer screen which is further than the pages book but closer than scenery. So now I have to lug around 3 pairs wherever I go. Cumbersome. Why hasn't anyone invented a 3-in-1, like Nescafe?
It turned out that someone has! Its a clever invention that makes your lens thickness variable. You can use a lever to slide the thickness back and forth depending on what you need to look at. But as far as I know, its not available in Malaysia.
Besides costing an arm and a leg (around Rm 3,500 a pair) its also one of the ugliest pairs of specs you can ever find. It'll look good on you if you look like Harry Potter or have a handlebar moustache. I have neither.
If you are a woman, I think men will run away from you. Not because of your moustache but your specs.
But if they come up with something more contemporary, I might just be tempted to save up for a pair. Sometimes I think anything's better than having to carry around 3 pairs of specs everywhere I go.

Great post, Johan! My whole family wear glasses and my other half has had a LASIK operation too. I would not spend an arm and a leg for such an expensive pair of glasses. God bless you and yours always.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Thank you, it seems that the more educated we all are, the more eyeglasses the spectacle shops sell. My father seems to think reading is bad for us, ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI used to read sitting with papers on the desk. Then I started reading standing up because the prints seemed getting blurry. I was in my 40s then. Finally when I thought I had to place the papers on the floor, I went out and got myself my first pair of reading glasses.
ReplyDeleteYes, shopping for reading glasses is the first sign of turning into an uncle. I think the second sign is when your nephews say your shoes look like a dead fish.
ReplyDelete