The Cool Dude

The Cool Dude

Friday, December 18, 2009

Ah Chai

Due to some fluke of nature, I was born with lighter skin than my siblings, and features that made it hard for people to ascertain my race.

Most strangers think I am Chinese, until I open my mouth and confirm their guesses (I am multi lingual). Well, except that I am not Chinese.

But can we ever know for sure what blood flows through our veins? I do know that my mother is of Sumatran heritage, father of Javanese heritage. But except for a few obligatory celebrations, as a third generation family member I very seldom identify with either of these heritages. Race and culture is something I don't normally think about until someone reminds me of it.

I am lucky to have grown up in a true melting pot, to have experienced what its like to have a best friend whose great grandparents didn't come from the same clan or country mine came from. Unfortunately Ah Chai passed away many years ago due to illness. I was the only non-Chinese fellow who attended his funeral. I followed the entourage right up to his burial plot. I felt devastated for his widow and 6 year old son and donated to them what little I had stashed under the floorboard of our house. Money that would liberate me from my bicycle to a motorcycle. Ah Chai lived near the rubber estate I lived in.

Whenever I think of Ah Chai, I feel sad to see what our community has become, yet happy how he and I made possible what others said is not possible.

4 comments:

  1. Ah Chai is a pretty common name for Chinese kids of our generation. Depending on how you write it in Chinese calligraphy, it can mean 'wealth' or 'talent'. I happen to go by that name too. But 'Charity' happens to be my middle name. So my wealth or talents usually goes to charity. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my friend's name meant talent. He had aspirations to set up a business dealing in the rubber smallholders produce. He was one of the most interesting persons I ever met. The good die young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another heartwarming story! ;)

    ReplyDelete